3rd call for applications now open
The third Call for Applications by LAAAMP for Faculty-Student Teams to spend 2 months during Calendar Year 2019 at participating AdLSs is now open.
DEADLINE: 15 November 2018.
ICSU has awarded the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP) and the International Union of Crystallography (IUCr) a grant to enhance advanced light source (AdLS) and crystallography sciences in four targeted regions of the world: Africa, the Caribbean, Mexico, Southeast Asia and Middle East. Part of that funding will be allocated to send FAculty-STudent (FAST) teams for two (2) months during Calendar Year 2019 to LAAAMP’s AdLS Collaborative Partners to participate in learning AdLS beamline techniques, including those involving crystallography.
Consists of applications from FAST teams that are led by faculty who were 2018 New LAAMP Awardees.
Consists of all other applications.
Who is Eligible?
- Employed as a full-time faculty member at an accredited Ph.D. granting university that is located in Africa, the Caribbean, Mexico, Southeast Asia or the Middle East.
- Accompanied by one’s Ph.D. student research advisee.
- Interested in using AdLSs to further one’s research and training endeavors.
- Previous experience with using AdLSs is limited to a year or less.
- Ability to spend two (2) months during Calendar Year 2019 as a full-time visitor in residence at an AdLS that is a LAAAMP Collaborative Partner.
- Registered as a full-time Ph.D. student at an accredited university that is located in Africa, the Caribbean, Mexico, Southeast Asia or Middle East.
- Accompanied by one’s faculty research advisor.
- Interested in using AdLSs in one’s dissertation research.
- Ability to spend two (2) months during Calendar Year 2019 as a full-time visitor in residence at an AdLS that is a LAAMP Collaborative Partner.
Amount of Financial Support
LAAAMP will provide 1818 Euros per person to cover transportation costs. Any excess will be applied to accommodation and subsistence. The remainder of accommodation and subsistence should be negotiated with the host AdLS and other sources of support.
Within one month after the conclusion of the visit to the host AdLS, the FAST team should provide the following:
- Maximum 10-page description of the research conducted, including any publications that result.
All publications should acknowledge the support provided by IUPAP-IUCr LAAAMP within the ICSU Grants Programme 2016-2019.
- Maximum 3-page report that evaluates the non-scientific aspects of the visit, including positive experiences as well as ways that the visit could be enhanced in the future.
Who are LAAMP’s AdLS Collaborative Partners?
- Advanced Light Source (USA)
- Advanced Photon Source (USA)
- ALBA (Spain)
- Australian Synchrotron
- Canadian Light Source
- DELTA (Germany)
- Elettra (Italy)
- European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (France)
- Max IV Laboratory (Sweden)
- National Synchrotron Light Source-II (USA)
- Photon Factory (Japan)
- Pohang Accelerator Laboratory (South Korea)
- SESAME (Jordan)
- Siam Photon Source (Thailand)
- Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource (USA)
- Taiwan Photon Source
To What Persons and Email Addresses Should Applications be Submitted?
Residents of AfricaProfessor Simon Connell
University of Johannesburg
Department of Mechanical Engineering Science
Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment
Resolution Circle, 8th Floor, South Annex
cnr Empire Road and Barry Hertzog Avenue
Milpark, Johannesburg, 2006, South Africa
Residents of the CaribbeanProfessor Carlos R. Cabrera
University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus
Department of Chemistry
P.O. Box 23346
San Juan, PR 00931-3346
Residents of MexicoProfessor Matías Moreno
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Instituto de Física
Departamento de Física Teórica
Edificio Marcos Moshinsky , 2º p. C-250
Ciudad Universitaria, Coyoacán, C.P. 04510
Residents of Southeast AsiaDr. Rungrueang Phatthanakun
Head of Research Facility
Synchrotron Light Research Institute (SLRI)
Muang District, Nakhon Ratchasima 30000, THAILAND
Residents of the Middle EastProfessor Özgül Öztürk
Department of Physics
Siegen, North Rhine-Westphalia
Note: Final funding is dependent upon suitable arrangements being made with a LAAAMP AdLS Collaborative Partner.
Posted 18 Aug 2018